Tomatoes – 5 Large (Chopped)
Onion – 1 Medium (Chopped)
Garlic – 2 Cloves (Minced)
Carrot – ½ Medium (Chopped)
Celery – 2 inch stalk (Finely chopped)
Sugar – ½ tsp
Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Butter – 1 tsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Salt – to taste
Peppercorns, crushed – ½ tsp
1. Heat oil and butter in a pan, add bay leaf, peppercorn, sliced onions and sauté until translucent.
2. Add garlic, carrot and celery, stir-fry briefly.
3. Add tomatoes, stir-fry for a minute and add 2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil. Cook for 10-15 mins covered with a lid.
4. Strain the blended mixture through a strainer. Reserve the liquid.
5. Remove peppercorns and bay leaf from the residue and allow it to cool.
6. Blend in a mixer to get a smooth puree. Pass it through a sieve or strainer.
7. Add the reserved liquid to the pureed tomatoes and adjust the consistency. Put it back on heat.
8. Add salt, freshly crushed peppercorns and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.
9. Garnish this soup with coriander leaves before serving.