Cooking time: 1 hour
100 gms. shelled peas
2 large potatoes, cut into small pieces
2 brinjals, cut into 8 pieces
100 gms. cauliflower, cut in large pieces
½ kg. basmati rice
3 medium onions, finely sliced
½ tsp. ginger paste
½ tsp. garlic paste
6 green chillies, ground
3 green chillies
¼ tsp. turmeric powder
3 green cardamoms
½ cup yoghurt
Freshly chopped coriander and mint leaves
4 tbsp. ghee
Juice of 1 lemon
Oil to fry
Salt to taste
1. Cook rice till ¾ done and keep aside. Heat oil and fry vegetables separately (one variety at a time) till they are half cooked.
2. Leave about ½ cup of oil in the pan.
3. Add all spices, cloves and cardamom on the oil till they change their shade. Add the onions and fry till golden brown.
4. Add the ginger, garlic, salt, ground green chillies, and turmeric and fry for a little while.
5. Then add the vegetables and yoghurt and cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
6. Grease the bottom of another heavy based pan with ghee. Spread half of the cooked rice.
7. Pour the vegetables to form a layer. Spread the balance rice on top of the vegetables.
8. Add a dash of ghee, sprinkle coriander leaves, mint leaves and chopped green chillies.
9. Add lemon juice, cover and cook on slow fire till the rice is ready.
Recipe by Rehana khambaty