Rice – 100gm \ 1 large cup, uncooked
Sona Mung daal- 50gm, no need to fry
Spinach paste (thick paste)- 1-1/2 cups,
onion – 1, small, chopped
capsicum – 1, small, finely chopped
Ginger paste – 1tbsp
chilly – 1
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds – 1tsp
Fenugreek sedds – 1tsp
Bay leaf – 2
oil to fry
salt to taste
water (do not worry about quantity)
1. Wash & soak, both rice & daal, together or separately.
2. Heat oil in a cooker. Add bay leaves, cumin & fenugreek seeds. When the seeds start to splatter, add onions. Saute for 1-2min. Add capsicum, saute for 2mins again. Now add the spinach & ginger pastes. Cook for 3mins.
3. Add rice & daal. Add salt, sugar, chilly flakes & turmeric powder. Saute for 5 more mins.
4. Add 4cups of water. Cover and cook on high flame & wait for the cooker to whistle 4-5 times. Turn off the heat & let it set for 10-15 mins.
5. Transfer to a serving plate & enjoy.
Recipe by Nandita Debnath © 2013