SAFFRON PULLAO WITH RAW MANGO
Preparation time: 10 Mins.
Cooking time: 30 min.
1 raw mango, peeled and diced
1 gm. Saffron
100 gms. ghee
100 ml. vegetable oil
5 gms. whole garam masala
2 gms. shahi jeera (caraway seeds)
30 gms. onions, chopped
30 gms. tomatoes, chopped
100 gms. onions, sliced
5 gms. green chillies, slit
5 gms. coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1. Wash the rice and soak it for at least one hour. Also soak the saffron in a little bit of warm milk.
2. Heat the ghee and add cumin and whole garam masala to it.
3. Saute for some time. Later, add the chopped onion and tomatoes and go on sautéing till the onion becomes transparent in colour.
4. Drain the rice and add to the rest of the ingredients. Saute the rice for at least a minute. Add hot water and let it boil (water should be 1.5 times the quantity of rice).
5. Add this to the rice and cover with a tight fitting lid and put on “dum” for 10 minutes.
6. Open the lid and pour the saffron soaked milk and the saffron strands over the rice in circular motion.
7. Garnish with golden fried sliced onions and some chopped green coriander.
Recipe by Rehana khambaty