HYDERBADI MIRCHI KA SALAN
(Green chillies in rich gravy)
Preparation time: 10 Mins.
Cooking time: 20 mins.
250 gms. bhavnagiri chillies
1 onion, finely grated
1 tbsp. coconut, grated
2 tsp. sesame seeds (til)
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. red chilli powder
½ tsp. turmeric powder
2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp. chironji (melon seeds)
1 tamarind, lime-sized and soaked in hot water
salt to taste
a few curry leaves
1. Boil the bhavnagiri chillies in salted water, till they change colour (the chillies will become a bit pale from its usual bright green colour). Keep aside.
2. Lightly roast the til, chironji and grated coconut. Grind to a paste.
3. Add the coriander, chilli and turmeric powder to the above paste.
4. Heat oil in a vessel and add the cumin seeds.
5. Mix the masala and the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the oil separates.
6. Add the boiled green chillies and curry. Stir fry for two mins.
7. Add the tamarind water and simmer till they gravy thickens.
8. Remove from heat and serve hot with biryani.
Recipe by Rehana khambaty