For the dough:
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. milk
- 1tbsp refined oil
- 1/2 cup water
For the filling:
- About 1tbsp sugar
- 1large apple, peeled, halved, and chopped
- 1tbsp Milk
- 1/2cup , ripe papaya, chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder or 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 4tbsp sugar
- 3-4 strands Saffron
- 1cup Water
- 1/2cup Apple skin, chopped
1. Sieve the maida\flour well with salt, sugar, milk and place in a flat dish. Make a bay in the center and put a little of oil for leavening. Add warm water and make a stiff dough.
2. Divide dough into walnut size balls. Roll between hand palms to smooth. Roll out balls with a rolling pin to form 8 cm diameter circles.
3. For the fillings, mix all the ingredients. I used cardamom powder. Keep it aside.
4. Put 2tbsp of the fillings on a flour circle and place another flour clircle over the fillings in such a way that it falls just on the edge of the bottom half. Gently mold the dough around the apple to eliminate any trapped air. Fold the edge of the bottom half up over the edge of the top half and press to seal. Repeat it for other flour circles.
5.Heat the pressure cooker for 5 mins. Grease and dust the baking container with oil & flour. Place the pies in the container and place the tightly closed container in the cooker. Keep the cooker on low flame, without whistle.
6. Bake until golden brown, 25mins to 30mins, turn off the heat & set aside the container. These go well with the hot\cold sugar syrup.
Preparation of Syrup:
In a high-sided saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cold water and sugar to a boil. Turn the heat to low and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves completely and the mixture is clear, approximately 3 minutes. Add the saffron & apple skins. Keep it on low heat for 4-5mins.
Apple Pie Recipe Contributed by Nandita Debnath